Here’s what you need to know about how a mood board can help your next office fit out.
What is a mood board?
A mood board is sometimes known as an inspiration board because it helps to reflect your vision, or feeling, for your project. They help to lay the foundations for the project and can be a key driver for keeping your office fit out consistent — from design concept and direction, right through to execution.
Mood boards are used in a range of industries, but in all of them they help to summarise the project’s creative direction. Mood boards can be presented digitally or in hard copy. But regardless of the medium, they are a powerful way to communicate things like:
- Colour palettes
- Overall aesthetics
- Patterns and textures
Why should your office fit out include a mood board?
There are many benefits to using a mood board for your office fit out project. Some of our favourite reasons for using mood boards include:
- They help to get the creative juices flowing, especially for clients who might like to take inspiration from magazines or current trends
- They help to communicate big ideas, especially for items like flooring and kitchen areas
- They help to keep the look cohesive, with details like finishes for things like hardware or soft furnishings included
- They clearly define the project and allow you to get stakeholder feedback on visual design elements, before too much time is invested in what may be the wrong aesthetic direction
- They can save you money by allowing you to see before you commit to the build
How do we create a mood board for office fit out projects?
Before we start a new project, we like to ask our clients a number of questions, such as:
- What is working well for you in the current workspace?
- Do you have a head office that you are trying to replicate a similar look and feel in your new workspace?
- What are the key areas for the staff ‘buy in’ for the project?
On entry what is the first impression you want both clients and your team to see?
Still not sure what a mood board is?
Here are some of the mood boards we have pulled together for our clients…
Our tips for creating your own mood board
Some clients come to us with their own ideas, which we use to inspire the creative process of designing their office fit out. If you’re thinking of putting some ideas for your office fit out together we recommend using Pinterest to gather your inspiration and ideas you find on the internet. Simply “pin” images to your boards for review later. Often you find strong visual themes emerging, which is helpful when trying to express your ideas.